|Image||What you need to know||Price|
Great desk converter with a keyboard tray that comes all the way down to the desk to help you with ergonomics and has enough space for your monitors, phone, keyboard, and mouse.
This is the best of the bunch. You will really like the fact that you have the ability to adjust the height of the keyboard and monitor separately allowing you to get the best ergonomic fit.
If you do not like the front mounting of the WorkFit-S, than this is the model to go with. It is very flexible and easily adjusts to either sitting or standing. I also like the fact that this unit can be pushed out of the way when you want to work on papers/files, or anything else that requires a large workspace.
Full review of the Ergotron WorkFit can be found here
- Front mounting makes this standing desk add on perhaps the most stable of all the Ergotrons.
- Like the WF-A, the WF-S is an ergonomic dream. Highly flexible and capable of independent monitor and keyboard adjustment, users should have no trouble finding the standing desk conversion profile that’s right for them.
- The keyboard tray on the WF-S is lackluster at best, being made of cheap plastic that feels as if it might collapse at any moment, even if it never quite manages it.
- Want to mount dual monitors? Get ready to shell out more cash for a separately-available mounting bracket.
- Doesn’t support Apple monitors.
The WorkFit is made by Ergotron
Varidesk Pro Plus
Full review of the Varidesk can be found here
- Whether you choose the Varidesk Single Plus or the Varidesk Pro Plus to convert your desk into a standing desk (the units being differentiated in their ability to hold a single or dual-monitor setup), you’ll enjoy solid construction and eleven height settings, perfect for the newcomer to standing desks.
- Do you like to “spread out” when you work? Choose Varidesk! These things have room to spare, so mice and peripherals won’t need to be crowded into a corner of your desk.
- Varidesk units are relatively inexpensive when compared to their competition.
- Both Varidesk units are heavy, loud, pieces of kit. They do their job well, but you’ll never forget that you’re using them.
- Unless you don’t mind slaughtering your neck and shoulder muscles, you’re going to need some adjustable monitor mounts. Otherwise, monitors, keyboards, and all the rest of your equipment will be on the same plane (as opposed to a lowered, ergonomically-minded keyboard tray).
- With a duration of one year, the Varidesk warranty is paltry, seemingly an afterthought when stacked against other offerings from competing companies.
The Varidesk is made by… well Varidesk
Full review of the Ergotron WorkFit can be found here
- If there were a flexibility award for the ability to turn a regular desk into a standing desk, the Ergotron WorkFit-A (that’s WF-A for short) would win it by a landslide. Using two articulated joints, not only can the WF-A be raised or lowered to meet your exact specifications, it can also do a wide variety of swivel-type maneuvers that ensure a ready work surface no matter how large or small your overall work area.
- This unit is great for screen-sharing! Just give it a nudge, and presto – you’re set.
- By virtue of its rear-mounted configuration and ability to contort itself on those two articulation points, the Ergotron WorkFit-A has almost no footprint and is especially great to convert an office desk into a standing desk. Need a lot of open space to do your work? This unit’s just the thing.
- The WF-A is the only Ergotron model to support Apple iMac monitors.
- The WF-A is rear-mountable only, so installation can be tricky for those whose desks are hard up against a wall, second desk, or other such hindrance. It’s also heavy, so installation may be a two-person job.
- Physics is a cruel mistress – without a bit of tinkering to get the tension right, the WF-A is prone to a distressing amount of instability.
The WorkFit is made by Ergotron
Taskmate EZ 6400
Full review of the Taskmate can be found here
- The Taskmate EZ 6400 is a breeze to assemble. That’s great news, since for most people, the assembly process is the hardest part of standing desk conversion. The included manual is written simply, full of color photos, and when it does come time to start attaching parts to things, you’ll find that you only need three tools (depending upon your chosen mounting point or points): A screwdriver and two wrenches, namely a 7/32 Allen and an adjustable.
- Once assembled, users will find their new Taskmate to be quite sturdy. Computers are delicate and expensive, so it’s a comfort to know that the platform they’re resting on is solid and well-constructed.
- The Taskmate EZ 6400 Standing Desk Converter is an American-made product, which is a nice surprise in this age of constant outsourcing. Many people won’t care one way or the other, but the “Buy American” crowd should definitely take note!
- The keyboard tray on this unit is a bit too narrow. There’s no room for a mouse on the tray, which shoves everything onto the surface of the desk itself as a matter of necessity.
- The keyboard tray doesn’t lie flat / flush on the desk surface when in the lowered position. This doesn’t impact performance or anything, it’s just somewhat jarring at first. Don’t worry, nothing’s broken, it’s built that way!
The taskmate is made by HealthPostures
- The Ergo Desktop Kangaroo is super-easy to mount. To be a bit simplistic about it, if you’ve got a desk with enough space, you can mount this bad boy on it and turn a desk into a standing desk. You don’t even need any extra tools, clamps, or clasps!
- The raise / lower mechanism on the Kangaroo is gas-assisted, meaning you barely have to do anything to get it sitting just right (so you don’t have to!). The best part? This applies to both the keyboard tray and monitor mount!
- There’s really no other way to say it: Ergo Desk’s Kangaroo has some serious style. Where other tools on this list come in black or metallic finishes, the ‘Roo is available in a wide variety of colors and model variants – it even comes in a wood-grain finish if you want! NOTE: Don’t get the “Wallaby” model – the separate, junior-size variant of the Kangaroo – if you want the wood-grain finish; it’s not available.
- It’s called “The Kangaroo”. Come on, how cool is that?!
- This offering from Ergo Desk is more expensive than most of the other entrants on this list, so if budget is your chief concern, tread carefully.
- Stability is ok, but it comes partially at the expense of a rather awkward detached leg / pole that slides in under the keyboard tray. Apparently they’re easy to lose, because Ergo Desk sells replacements right alongside the complete models.
- Work surface? What work surface? Even the biggest ‘Roo models are hard-pressed to provide anything approaching a decent work surface, and it only gets worse as you go down in size.
The Kangaroo is made by Ergo Desktop
More and more people are getting clued into the fact that standing desks are awesome. They promote increased productivity, better mental and physical health and well-being, and they even give you a little bit of intellectual street cred – Winston Churchill used them, and everyone knows who he is! Still, standing desks can be expensive to purchase, and maybe you already have a perfectly sound traditional desk, a situation that would make replacing it somewhat of a hassle. But fear not, dear reader! The following information is designed to do one thing: show you how easy (and worthwhile) it is to engage in a little standing desk conversion. If by chance, you are looking for a brand new desk, make sure to check out some height-adjustable desks.
Whether you want to keep your present desk or workstation around for the time being because it’s a family heirloom, a company-provided piece of equipment, or just really expensive and / or huge and cumbersome such that the prospect of moving it makes you weep softly where no one can see, it’s OK – there’s a standing desk converter that can give it a brand new lease on life. Keep reading to learn about the pros and cons of four top-shelf standing desk attachments.
Well, there you have it – some of the best options for standing desk conversion on the market today, all laid out in simple, pro-con fashion for your browsing pleasure. With this handy guide, prospective buyers should have no trouble picking up the perfect standing desk converter for their home or office, regardless of situation. Happy hunting!