The iMovR ThermoTread GT office desk treadmill is a reliable, easy to use, and exceptionally quiet product. Compared to the leading models from other companies this treadmill is a clear standout. Everything from controlling the treadmill to tracking stats is intuitive and as easy as interacting with your phone. If you are looking to trade up to a nice under desk treadmill or start with one you will be able to use for many years, this should be a candidate.
iMovR ThermoTread GT Review Summary
NotSitting.com Product Rating: 4.2 / 5
- Motor Design –
- Sound Level –
- Aesthetics –
- Experience –
This is a very nice under desk office treadmill with a great feature set and clear for-office design. The look is very professional. The treadmill is very quiet. The motor is designed specifically for walking (low speed, high torque). The interface is attractive on your desk and uses a simple touch screen. And, the overall experience is very good.
The primary drawback of this treadmill is the lack of Bluetooth connectivity and a phone app. iMovR is closing the gap in this area with an upcoming cloud based add-on product that will integrate the treadmill or the entire iMovR desk system with the cloud… but that is a separate (and compatible) product, not this treadmill.
One note about the treadmill experience. All well designed treadmills work and feel essentially the same while you are walking. The real difference is the desk that you place it at. In this review I am focused on the treadmill. In others (See the iMovR Omega Olympus and other iMovR desk system reviews) I get in to the information you need to know about ergonomics and long term wellness with a treadmill.
Why use a treadmill desk
Treadmill desks are becoming quite popular as people in the United States, Canada, Europe, Australia, and Asia focus more and more on their total wellness in life. The amount of stationary sitting people do while at work in informational roles sitting at a computer is significant. Many see this as an opportunity to get in some low intensity physical activity. Hence there are many products designed to get you moving.
Treadmill desks are one example of a moving-while-working product. Treadmill desks are essentially a treadmill underneath a desk that can raise up high enough to get the ergonomics of standing generally correct.
Under-desk ellipticals are another version of this same get-moving movement. In this case people sit and use a compact elliptical while they work at their desk.
Under-desk cycles are also starting to become more popular. These are essentially a small bicycle system that fits under a desk. Often the desk is raised up to allow for some additional room for the legs to move.
The drawback of all of these is that they cause your body to move while you are trying to use a stationary keyboard and mouse, both which require high precision. To counteract the motion you tend to tense your hands and flex hour shoulders, elbows, and wrists to provide pressure into the desk in front of the keyboard. Over time, this causes major problems with the tendons and joints.
So, ultimately you have to decide whether the benefit of moving while working is greater than the drawback of the poor ergonomics and pressure on your joints.
iMovR ThermoTread GT Specifications
The GT is well designed and built. Here are the specifications for comparison with other treadmills.
Motor: 3.0 HP, 4000 RPM
- Fan: Automatic, very quiet
- Walking Belt Area: 20″ x 50″
- Deck Height: less than 5″
- Deck Suspension: Shocks
- Noise Signature: – 42.7 dB at 2.0 mph
- Speed Range: 0.5-2.5 mph
- Weight Capacity: 400 pounds
- Weight: Treadmill 147 pounds, Controller 1.75 pounds
- Footprint: 67.5″ x 28.35″ x 9.5″
- Controls: Touch-screen LCD
- Console Dimensions: 7.25″ x 4.125″ x 6″
- Warranty: 3 year motor, 2 year parts, 1 year labor
Treadmill Desk Accessories
When purchasing a treadmill desk or a treadmill to go under an existing desk there are some very common accessories that folks like to add to their desk setup. Here is a list for you to consider:
- A treadmill mat that goes under the treadmill to protect the floor
- A “tread top” chair or stool that sits on the treadmill for when you want to sit
- A monitor arm so that the position of the monitors can be adjusted when moving between sitting, standing, and walking
- A “tread top” mat for standing rather than walking on the treadmill
- Treadmill lubricant to keep it quiet and running smoothly
Additional Treadmill Desk Resources
Be sure to check out our extensive content on adjusting to and using a treadmill desk. We even have articles on building your own.
- 6 DIY Standing Desks You Can Build Too
- Ergocomfy Standing Mat Review
- Mobile and Compact Standing Desk Comparison Review
- Varidesk Pro Desk Series Overview
- Butterfly Standing Mat Review
- Varidesk Accessories Guide
- iMovR Omega Olympus Adjustable Electric Desk Review
- iMovR ThermoTread GT Desk Treadmill
- Halter ED-258 Preassembled Height Adjustable Sit / Stand Elevating Desktop
- X-Stand Portable Standing Desk Converter Review